Entitlement to benefits
This voluntary self-insurance provides health and pension insurance cover.
In health insurance, there is entitlement to benefits in kind (e.g. treatment by doctors, hospital care, medicine) and cash benefits (sickness and maternity benefits).
Periods of self-insurance are taken into account for pension insurance.
Prerequisites for registration
Marginally employed persons can apply for voluntary insurance if
- the total income from all employment does not exceed the low-income threshold of EUR 446,81 (2019) per calendar month
- they are resident in Austria and
- there is no compulsory statutory insurance
The following persons are excluded from voluntary self-insurance
- Recipients of their own pension (e.g. old age pension)
- Recipients of child care benefit
- Frontier workers
- Persons already in compulsory insurance in the health and pension insurance schemes due to other employment
- Persons already in compulsory insurance in the health insurance scheme due to receiving some form of unemployment benefit
- Persons belonging to a statutory representative body of freelance professions
The application for self-insurance is to be submitted to that Regional Health Fund in whose area the applicant is marginally employed. If the marginal employment is remunerated exclusively by means of services cheques, the application is to be submitted to that Regional Health Fund in whose area the applicant is resident.
You can apply for self-insurance also online at wgkk.at:
Online application (in German)
Start of self-insurance
- generally on the day following the application
- on first receiving benefits with the day the marginal employment starts, if the application is made within six weeks of that date
- for persons remunerated by means of services cheques, with the day the first employment starts, if the application is made by the end of the next calendar month at the latest
Amount of contributions
The fixed monthly amount in the 2019 calendar year is EUR 63,07.
Self-insurance for marginal employment ends
- with the lapse of the prerequisites
- with the start of full insurance
- with the end of the calendar month in which an insured person announces leaving the scheme
- with the end of the month for which a contribution was last made if the contribution due was not paid within two months from the end of that month it was due for
- for persons exclusively remunerated by means of services cheques, with the end of the first calendar month if for two successive calendar months no services cheque was redeemed
More information on self-insurance for marginal employment:
Telephone: +43 1 601 22-2770